This trip we went to Langtang since the old Annapurna has been destroyed with roads. Now truck loads of Yuppies ride the buses way up into Annapurna and fill the lodges, drinking beer and talking about how tough the day walk was from the bus to the lodge.

Langtang is east of Kathmandu.  We had no electricity for 20+ days except some solar lights in some places at night in the kitchen or dining area.

Here is a short into from the 1400+ photos I shot (with a Canon point & shoot camera). I have taken a movie camera once and a big SLR once, but I miss too many shots trying to get a big bulky camera out of the day-pack. 

Bill was an attraction every where he went. Nobody looks like him in the mountains. He always has knives hanging from him, this time a cowboy hat with a fake pony tail, a huge Nepali necklace and even a plastic crocodile on his day pack.


We started a few days before one festival and finished right as another one began.  No electricity in the hills, so no refrigeration.  But, once a year in early Oct it is traditional to kill a goat. Here a family dries the goat meat to last more than a few days.


This one may make it until next year??

On the second day we hit a mountain top where we could see the Annapurna range well over 100+ miles to the west.  Here is sunrise over Annapurna at 5:15 am.

A guy poses with one of Bill's knives.


A swing set in a village for the holidays. Safety  approved I'm sure.

Bill and I loaded up on trinkets in Chinatown in Bangkok and candy from Makro. We had girls hairpins, candy, chem-light bracelets, necklaces, school pens, key chains, etc. In most villages we handed out stuff especially to the girls who are treated like animals when compared to the boys.  Here a girl shows off a Angel fish necklace from Bill.  The little one just wanted more Mentos & Chalupa's (candy).


Daytime moon


Couldn't resist this shot at a Monastery. 


Guesthouse Decor

Much of the lower Langtang forest has trees covered in moss.


Langtang Range


One more hill finished.............


Typical guest house kitchen


When we crossed the pass, we spent a night at the high base camp. The old guy on the left was a real Sherpa that had spent 25 years on top of the mountain mostly serving tea to people coming or going over the pass.  Few spent the night like we did, so he made a special big fire.  Guy on the right was our second porter that I fired several days after we made it over the pass. "Slim" as we called him, made me miserable every day he was so dumb.


Lots of lakes on the north slope of the pass.  This one was just over 15,000 feet in elevation.

Picture doesn't do him justice.  He was one of the biggest Yak's I had seen on any trip.

In the days of the Maoist revolution I never say anyone but police or military carrying a Kukuri (knife).  Now, in Langtang at least it is very common.


Welcome to the 18th century.  A wooden plow and wooden yokes.

Call 911.  If you get hurt, it is either a helicopter or a basket ride.  If you read about the first successful climb on Annapurna. One of the climbers got frost bite and they carried him out in a basket. No roads then so it took almost 30 days with the doctor cutting off a toe here and there along the way.  Now days in Langtang you can get out of most places in 3-5 days.

Wanted us to take one of her young daughters so the kid could get an education (and inherit or money when we died)

Lost one leg to frostbite. Now he runs a small guest house.


Sunrise the next morning

Chapiti & egg for breakfast

Brian & Bishal (our porters) take a rest and look down on the town at the end of the trail

Bill comes across the last bridge just before the police checkpoint.