The only place that caught my eye, besides the big dollar places, was
KAVEKA on Cook's Bay. No beach there, just good
scenery. Email at email@example.com
- FERRY: The ferry's leave almost every hour between
6:15 am and 5:30 pm (M-F). Weekend schedule for the Moorea Jet
starts about an hour later. Round trip tickets are exactly
double a one way, so just get a one way as a different ferry may be
more convenient on your return. Surprisingly, the Jet (which
takes 30 minutes) is 960 CFP, and the regular ferry (which takes 45
minutes) is 1020 CFP.
- PLANE: 40 flights a day between Tahiti & Moorea.
- Le Truck: I only saw one and I asked them if they
went to Cook's Bay and they said NO! According to all the
guides the Le Truck goes all the way around the island. Maybe
they didn't speak English?
- Rental Cars: About 9500 CFP for 8 hours or 7000 for 4
hours. I used one for 3 hours and it used an amazing 1600 CFP
in fuel! I used Avis and later found out that Eurocar was
substantially cheaper. It takes less than an hour to drive all
the way around the island.
- Motor scooters: I had a few minutes when I returned so
I checked the price and was shocked that the car was only about $20
more than a scooter.
- Bicycles: Available for rent right across the street
from the rental cars area
I did a day visit from Tahiti and decided not to return for a
overnight stay. Didn't see any place on my day visit where I
wanted to try a snack. Looked like most dining was in the hotels
or one of the few cafes on the two bays.
I saw one internet cafe near the base of Opunohu Bay. No idea on
the price or speed.
|Time Zone Chart
- The ferry ride
- I heard the shark feeding show here is
|NOT SO GOOD:
- No good beaches for swimming
FROM AROUND THE ISLAND
|WHAT TO DO:
- Bicycling: The road around the
island is almost flat (a couple of very small hills) so it would be
easy to peddle around in one day. Roads aren't too wide, but
lots of bicyclers, so it is pretty safe.
- Snorkeling: I saw a few interesting
spots on the SW and South end of the island, but no nearby resort
signs. Of course it looked good near the Sofitel, the
Beachcomber, and Club Med, but at those prices it should be
- Photography: Very
beautiful scenery. Some samples
- Wind surfing
- Outrigger Canoe paddling in the lagoons
- Hobie Cats
- Water skiing
- Visit the Distillery
- Flying tour of the island
- Hike to the Arafeaitu waterfall
- Beach at Temae (near airport)